After about 6 hours of work, we have completed Workbench 1.0!
Here are a few pictures of the construction process:
This was my biggest wood working project to date and overall, it went smoothly. The Melamine insert didn’t fit as flush as I would have hoped. we have determined that the concrete slabs in my garage are not perfectly level, which caused a few problems. I am planning to pop the insert back out and sand down the couple of high spots.
–> DON’T BUY Ryobi! The only incident during the project happened when the laser guide on the saw cracked and was ejected from the blade while cutting one of the 4″x4″s. It hit Aaron’s hand and actually drew blood! The cut wasn’t too bad and a Band-Aid quickly remedied the wound.
We have determined the bench weighs well over 200 lbs. and easily handles me jumping on it (as seen above). Also, the weight alone makes the bench difficult to push around, so no worries about it sliding around while trying to work.
|DeWalt Drill||$ 54.00||1||$ 54.00|
|Steel Square||$ 6.96||1||$ 6.96|
|5 lbs Gold Screws – 3″||$ 21.97||1||$ 21.97|
|2″ x 10″||$ 7.05||4||$ 28.20|
|4″ x 4″||$ 6.66||3||$ 19.98|
|2″ x 2″||$ 1.80||8||$ 14.40|
|3/4″ 4′ x 8′ Melamine||$ 35.85||1||$ 35.85|